Civil Service application form (only for fire positions)
Police Department application form(for PD only)
The City of Pass Christian announces the following employment opportunity:
The City of Pass Christian is currently accepting applications for the position of Equipment Operator III at a pay rate of $14.00 per hour. For a complete job description, see below or pick up at City Hall, 200 W. Scenic Drive, Pass Christian, Ms. 39571 between the hours of 8a.m. to 5p.m.
All interested individuals may submit an application at Pass Christian City Hall or mail to the City of Pass Christian, Attention: City Clerk, P.O. Drawer 368, Pass Christian, Ms. 39571.
Deadline for submittal of application is June 30, 2015 before 4:00p.m.
The City of Pass Christian reserves the right to refuse any and all applications received. The City of Pass Christian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equipment Operator III
Department: Public Works
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Date Revised: 06.14.2011
Date Approved: 6.21.2011
EEO Class: Technical
Reports to: Director of Public Works
Directly Supervises: Non-Supervisory
This job consists of the operation of certain heavy and complex equipment including but not limited to trucks, motor graders, bulldozers and backhoes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, May include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
• Certain functions are understood to be essential; these include, but are not limited to, attendance, getting along with others, working a full shift, and dealing with and working under stress.
• Operates backhoe and front-end loaders to load dirt, gravel and other materials onto trucks;
• Operates grader to level surfaces and spread surfacing materials;
• Operates dragline, grader, and bulldozer in cleaning or constructing ditches, roadways or other assigned projects;
• Loads and secures medium and heavy earth-moving equipment on trailers for transport to job sites;
• Drives trucks with trailer to transport medium and heavy earth-moving equipment;
• Performs preventative maintenance and makes minor repairs and adjustments to equipment;
• Operates steam cleaner and water hose to clean equipment;
• Reviews assigned projects to determine equipment, personnel and materials needed;
• Notifies Foreman or Supervisor of additional materials or equipment required;
• Operates hand and power tools to make street/road repairs;
• Instructs other operations in the operation of equipment;
• Notifies Foreman or Supervisor of unusual situations and equipment malfunctions;
• Certification in Incident Command Structure categories preferred;
• Performs other related duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Good knowledge of techniques of loading and transporting heavy equipment;
• Good knowledge of traffic and safety regulation;
• Good knowledge of maintenance requirements for heavy equipment;
• Some knowledge of the characteristic, various soil types and surfacing materials;
• Skill in the operation of heavy earth-moving equipment, including bulldozer, dragline, front-end loader, backhoe, grader, planer, spreader, and roller;
• Skill in the operation of medium and heavy trucks and trailers;
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions;
• Ability to assign and direct the activities of assigned staff;
• Ability to note obstructions and unusual problems at work sites
• Ability to communicate effectively and orally;
• Knowledge of all related safety procedures.
Education and Experience
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Have at least two years of experience in the operation of heavy earth-moving equipment.
• Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge, skill and abilities will be accepted.
License and Certifications
• Must have a valid Class C Mississippi Driver's License within sixty (60) days of employment and a driving record acceptable to the City's insurance carrier. Must maintain said licensure and driving record for duration of employment in this position.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The physical demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work involves lifting, pushing, pulling or carrying 40 pounds or more;
• Work involves the operation of earth-moving equipment or commercial motor vehicles;
• Work involves the operation of non-commercial motor vehicles;
• Work involves the operation of tools such as axes, shovels, sling blades, etc;
• Work involves the operation of motorized equipment such as chain saws, power saws, jackhammers, lawn mowers, and tractors;
• Work involves climbing or running;
• Work involves stooping, bending, twisting, or reaching out in unusual positions;
• Works above ground or floor level, such as on stools or ladders;
• Works in a relatively high average temperature over a long period of time;
• Work involves considerable physical exertion of the whole body over a long period of time
• Work requires near vision (20 inches or less);
• Work required distant vision (20 feet or more);
• Work involves the detection of color differences;
• Work involves determination of the correct location of a sound, such as footsteps;
• Work involves hearing and understanding conversation or sounds.
• Outdoor weather conditions;
• Work near moving mechanical parts;
• Work in high, precarious places;
• Fumes or dust;
• Toxic or caustic chemicals;
• Extreme heat (non-weather over 90°F);
• Moderate noise(e.g., light motorized equipment such as lawn mowers);
• Loud noise (e.g., jackhammer, heavy motorized equipment).
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.