Civil Service application form (only for police and fire positions)
The City of Pass Christian announces the following employment opportunity:
The City of Pass Christian is currently accepting applications for the position of Deputy Clerk/Cashier. The beginning rate of pay is $10.00 per hour.
All interested individuals may submit an application at Pass Christian City Hall or mail to the City of Pass Christian, Attention: City Clerk, P.O. Drawer 368, Pass Christian, Ms. 39571.
Deadline for submittal of application is October 31, 2014 before 4:00p.m.
The City of Pass Christian reserves the right to refuse any and all applications received. The City of Pass Christian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Description (City Clerk) Deputy City Clerk
The Deputy City Clerk is an administrative position established by state statutes. This position is responsible for duties as stated by state statutes and city ordinances. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, voter registration and elections, maintenance of city records, privilege license, financial and accounting, public notices and certification. This position also serves as the administrative assistant to the City Clerk. In the absence of the City Clerk, the Deputy City Clerk functions as the City Clerk as described below.
Essential Job Functions
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, May include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
• Acts as chief city official in preparation of voter registration and preparation and execution of the City's election processes.
• Responds to requests for information from the public, other municipalities, state officials, and state and federal legislative offices.
• Answers multiple phone lines and greets the visitors to City Hall directing them to the appropriate department or person as needed.
• Research information in the municipal archives upon request of public officials and private citizens.
• Perform general office duties such as typing and proofreading correspondence, distributing and filing official forms and scheduling appointments.
• Perform contract administration duties, assisting with bid openings and the awarding of contracts.
• Record and edit the minutes of meetings, then distribute them to appropriate officials and staff members.
• Prepare meeting agenda and packets of related information.
• Maintains and provide access to public records.
• Acts as custodian of official seal.
• Prepare ordinances, resolutions, and proclamations so that they can be executed, recorded, archived and distributed.
• Bills and collects business licenses and other accounts receivables.
• Attests Mayor's signature on all official documents-plats, deeds, minutes, bond documents etc.
• Prepares reports for the Board and county, state and federal agencies.
Deputy City Clerk
Department: City Clerk
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Date Revised: 6.10.2011
Date Approved: 6.21.2011
EEO Class: Office & Clerical
Reports to: Finance Manager
Directly Supervises: Non-Supervisory
• Advertises public notices as required by law or authorized by the governing authority.
• Reviews all items to be placed on the council agenda for completeness and accuracy.
• Acts as City official authorized to transfer street lights to city account as subdivisions receive their final plat approval.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must posses required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Extensive knowledge of state laws regarding responsibilities.
• Ability to read and comprehend the MS Code and maintain an up to date knowledge of new laws related to responsibilities.
• Knowledge of accounting and billing of accounts.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Ability to converse with diverse people about a variety of subjects from water bill problems to municipal bonds.
• Good organization skills and ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects at one time.
• Good interpersonal and motivational skills to keep employees on task during stressful projects.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor Degree in English, public administration or accounting or comparable experience.
• Experience in customer service, multi-tasking, and dealing with various levels of government.
• In lieu of above requirements, the incumbent may possess any combination of relevant education, training and experience which would demonstrate the individual's knowledge, skill and ability to perform the essential duties listed above.
Licenses or Certificates
• Become certified as Municipal Clerk within three years.
• Valid Mississippi Driver's License at the time of appointment or ability to obtain one within thirty (30) days and a driving record acceptable to the City's insurance carrier.
• Must be bondable.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 10+ pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.